The key to a successful training program is to train SMART: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Repeatable, and Timely (maximum results for time investment). And that’s exactly what we do at Online Bike Coach.
- Specific. Protocols are matched to your individual training goals, whether they are increased climbing power, fast-twitch sprinting, sustained power output for triathlons or time trials, or all-around improved fitness for development or injury recovery.
- Measureable. Real-time data is continuously available throughout your workout, including sophisticated metrics that let you see exactly how you’re doing and how much energy you have left. After your session, workout reports are available within seconds for review by you and your coach.
- Acheivable. OBC does a full assessment of your available sustained wattage (“Critical Power,” also known as “Wattage Threshold,” or “Functional Threshold Power, or FTP”) before your training starts. Depending on your Plan/level, we may test for MPA (Maximum Power Available) instead, which is both quicker and more precise.Then we match training intensity to your personal fitness level and goals. So you always get the right training intensity at the right times for the right durations to deliver the right results.
- Repeatable. OBC intervals are tough, but they’re also specific to your personal fitness and goals, so they’re not so tough they can't be repeated. Spend time at certain levels of intensity, over and over, and your body will adapt to the strain and perform more easily at that level as you progress.
- Timely. As we like to say, Maximum results. Minimum Time. Guaranteed. Because the OBC training methodology is more precise, it can be more intense exactly when it’s needed. Which means you get more results in less training time.
Just as you would at at Coach Wharton’s Dallas studio, you’ll get 8 weeks of programming based on your available hours and days. Because our methodology uses periodized high-load training to achieve results in as little as 2 sessions per week, it’s easy to integrate the OBC program with your work, study, racing or other training schedules.
For example, if you’re a recreational rider who wants to improve seated hill climbs in the spring and then flat terrain in the fall, OBC can create custom programs to help you address those specific needs. The OBC methodology is that precise. And that specific. And that effective.
Specifically, wattage-based training allows us to more accurately:
- Apply Stress, which is the work you’ll be performing inside different energy systems (measured in KiloJoules).
- Precisely match your training Focus to the specific type of rider you want to become, be it climber, triathlete/time-trialist, breakaway specialist, randonneur, or any combination.
- Determine how all of this Strain (the workload affecting your power and fatigue levels) is helping or hurting your power output.