Online Bike Coach offers 8- and 12-week programs that address up to 6 different focus areas per year. As you increase strength, speed and stamina, workouts become more challenging. And of course, programs can also taper in preparation for a big race or event.
As the program advances, it shows you what wattage to hold and how long to hold it. If you have an indoor ergometer, the load is preselected for you and you just pedal—the unit changes resistance according to the workout protocol. If you’re using a turbo trainer or rollers, the software displays your goal wattage against the power you’re producing from an on-bike power meter, and you make the necessary adjustments yourself.
- Scheduling Workouts. You get 2-3 workouts per week, around 60 to 90 minutes each, built around your current goals and fitness. If you miss a workout, no problem. It’s still in the calendar, and you can always go back and re-attempt any of the workouts.
- Methodology. The OBC methodology does not focus on video games or other distractions. Our emphasis is on energy expenditure, power generation, and time, and it requires your full attention to be as effective as possible.
- Baseline Fitness Testing. For those using the one of our PerfPro system coaching plans, testing for for baseline fitness occurs at the beginning of teach 8-week program, and ends with the same tests, to quantify your gains.
It starts with determining your Critical Power (you may have also heard this called “Wattage Threshold” or “Functional Threshold Power” or FTP). In addition to having several names, there are a number of definitions for the term itself. But to simplify, Critical Power is just the power output below which you are riding aerobically (and can do so for a long period of time), and above which you’re riding anaerobically (where you’re only be able to ride for a few minutes, or even just a few seconds).
For students using our more advanced plans under the Xert system, the test protocol is different, using the Maximum Power Available (MPA) metric. In addition to being quicker to implement, the Xert protocol is substantially more accurate, meaning your workouts will be tailored more precisely to your abilities and you’ll progress faster.
Our goal at Online Bike Coach is to help you raise your Critical Power (or MPA) level, increasing your ability to ride more efficiently for longer duration/distance. At the same time, you’ll begin to acquire the ability to perform harder, shorter intervals more frequently.
When a breakthrough occurs, your Critical Power/MPA will rise, and your next set of workouts the workouts will become more challenging. You’ll get even more fit, burn more energy, and you’ll look, feel, and perform even better!
- What if I'm not a "Serious Cyclist?" Online Bike Coach exists to help cyclists of all levels of experience, fitness, and performance.
Yes, we work with National-class cyclists and triathletes all over the world. But unlike other wattage-based programs, the OBC methodology works just as well for beginners, recumbent riders (even trikes!), retirees, recreational riders preparing for a first century or event ride, or just anyone looking for a fun way to improve or maintain their health or figure.
Recommendations for low-cost, at-home general fitness resistance training protocols are available, and hydration recommendations are applied and recommended for everyone. You’d be surprised how just a few sessions can make a big difference in your fitness and results.
- Pricing. Coaching plans for both the PerfPro and Xert sytems starts at US $200 per month for 8-12 workouts. See our Let's Get Started page for more detailed descriptions and program options.